View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Cleveland (city proper) might actually surpass NYC (city proper) in % PR. I find that amazing. NYC was 8.8% PR in 2010, but that % has probably dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I suppose one can speak of a "Caribbean Hispanic east" that's comprised of the Northeast, Cleveland and Florida. Dominicans seem to be in places where the PR population was significant already but are far more limited to a few places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Fits my theory: not on I-95=has Mexican Americans as a large share of the Latino population
The Puerto Rican presence still is there west of I-95 in many places in the northeast though. Between Cleveland and NYC/the east coast, there's still the presence in upstate NY and parts of PA still inland from the coast too.

There's still a big gap between that northeast Puerto Rican area and Florida though with the mid-Atlantic.

Also, in some ways the Puerto Rican population map for some reason seems to be similar to the Jewish population trend in the 20th century with NYC and its metro as the gateway (among the earliest "immigrants") as well as to places in the Great Lakes like Cleveland and Chicago, with a later rise in population to Florida (especially internal migration from NYC moving outward). The sizeable Puerto Rican population in Chicago actually was originally founded by NYC Puerto Ricans too rather than Puerto Ricans directly from the island.