View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
This remarkable view from Denver Library is looking south at what I believe to be Fort Hill. I think the photo must have been taken from near the Hebrew Cemetery, with Chavez Ravine Rd snaking thru the right foreground. A thousand apologies if this is rehash.

Is it just my fevered imagination or can we see the Baker and Wills homes? it seemed like a match the other night but now I'm not so sure.

ScottyB, we've seen that photo at NLA, but not in the context of looking for these homes, so thank you very much for
posting it. We determined it was taken sometime in 1888, and yes it is remarkable!

This what I see: below the red line = Wills home; yellow line = Baker carriage house; green line = Mary Banning home;
purple line = Hancock Banning home @ 416 N. Broadway; above the orange line is the Mary Banning stable/carriage house:

Enlargement of CHS.J3927 at Denver Public Library

Here's the 1888 Sanborn, which seems to match the photo pretty well. Neither 418-20 nor 426 N. Broadway are on the
map, and I don't see them in the photo:

1888 Sanborn Map @ ProQuest via LAPL

Although Milo Baker is listed at the SW [sic?] corner of Fort and Rock in the 1888 city directory, maybe the Baker
home was being built when the 1888 photo was taken? Otherwise, I think we'd see it, as we do below at center.
The 1888 photo seems to show that the pointy-towered Baker carriage house, to the left of the home, was built
first (I've marked the three buildings from the other photo with their same color):

LAPL 00061421 previously posted by me

The 1906 Sanborn's depiction of the north side of Fort Moore Place (formerly Rock Street) seems to match the photo above:

ProQuest via LAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Nice shot Flyingwedge. Do you think it was taken from 318 Court?

1910:

historicmapworks
Yes, or darn close to it. I sought but did not find a photo that looked the other way at that hill and that showed
the little home in the lower left of the 1876 photo.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 5, 2019 at 7:47 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension