View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 12:20 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yeah, I live there (here) and I'm not sure. I have heard the area from the Capitol to UT refered as both Uptown and Midtown..... I usually call it midtown ..... but there doesn't seem to be any one consistant term. Technically, I believe (oh, gods of the forum correct me in my doubt) that up to MLK is considered the CBD. ( I know my taxes think we are!) I have also heard many folks call the area between downtown and UT the "Capitol complex".

I'll stick with Midtown.

It is...... complex. Somebody tell me where I liveeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Thats funny... I don't think there has ever been an agreed-upon label for areas north of the CBD. The terms midtown and uptown have been thrown around randomly for various areas of central and north-central Austin. For instance, I have heard many refer to the state Health and Human Services complex and "Triangle" area as midtown (centered around the confluence of Guadalupe and Lamar)... and some have referred to the urbanizing Burnet Road corridor as " Uptown" (and a few call it midtown!). I guess it could be worse....downtown Charlotte is referred to as "uptown Charlotte" by the locals. I'm sure there's a reason, but for the tourist I found it a bit perplexing