View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
If the city of Austin has its way, I think the Domain/Gateway districts will develop as you hope. As for offices, The Domain will consist of close to a million sq ft of offices when built-out (including a 175,000 sq ft office building nearing completion, near Macy's). Parks and a 5,000 seat ampitheater are planned for the eastern edge of the development. There are also early plans for 25-30+ story condo towers (probably 5-10 years down the road). Also, I spoke with one of the store managers, who indicates that the adjacent second phase, "Domain Crossing" will incorporate more of an entertainment component, including a bowling alley (Lucky Strike?) and arthouse cinema, among many others, as yet unnamed.

I do agree, its hard to 'create' a true urban texture from scratch, especially when mall developers like Simon are playing an integral role. I'm still very optimistic that The Domain will fulfill its potential!

As for the Arboretum... I think it will hold its own. Simon owns and manages both properties, and they certainly have a vested interest in keeping the Arboretum viable! The bigger impact has been on the non-simon properties nearby, such as Arboretum Crossing (which lost Circuit City and DSW to the Shops at Arbor Walk, and Great Hills Station, which lost Borders). The Arboretum/Gateway district is still a hot commodity, and most of the abandoned boxes should be backfilled soon. (Including a Target in the vacated Home Depot building, on Great Hills Trail).
As always, Mopacs, you make good points......