View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
In my lifetime, I have seen bus fares paying 100% of the costs to ride it down to 10%. Some cities are going to no fares to ride the buses. It slowly creep down, first to 90-10 split when the cities bought the private bus companies, to 80-20, 70-30, 60-40, 50-50, 40-60, 30-70, 20-80, 10-90 as the years progressed, as citizens demanded some service for the public revenues with lower fares, while at the same time public employee unions demanding higher salaries for less work.

I not suggestion what I saw is prototypical or not, but that is what I observed and how I feel about it.
no.

where did public employees or anyone demand higher salaries for less work? the answer is nowhere. also, do not forget almost all unions have been effectively destroyed or evaded except for public employment unions, and they are among the very last to be formed. and lastly -- the trend in labor negotiations is always downward with givebacks for any raises.

if you want a problem, the ever widening gulf between executive pay and the other company employees is the biggest pay related concern in the nation. it has grown far wider in the states than any developed nation since the 1960s and is accelerated today. that is a crime in and of itself and is one reason of many why we need even more and stronger unions.