View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 8:03 PM

Thanks for the follow-up about the Southland Apt Hotel, GW. I hadn't spotted it.

---------------

By chance, this is the third Julius Shulman post in a row where the subject is attributed to Stiles Oliver Clements. It's "Job 237: Stiles Oliver Clements, Ross Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1948".

Getty Research Institute

My searches for "Ross Building", "Phil's Bar B Q" and "O L Kramer" all came to nothing, and I thought I might have to post it as a mystery location. My only clue was what appears to be a three digit street number on the door. After a quick search of the downtown area at 45 degrees, I found the building on the corner of E 8th and San Julian Streets. The first floor has been altered a little, but the upper floors look remarkably unchanged.

GSV

I couldn't find a new building permit, but there is a 1948 permit for the neon sign on Phil's Bar B Q. Returning to Google with an address of 536 E 8th Street, I found that this was the downtown location of Gorky's Cafe and Russian Brewery in the '80s and early-90s. A couple of LA Times articles from 1992 give a bit of history, and tell of the financial problems at the restaurant - see here and here. A third article from 1993 reports on the closure of Gorky's - see here. Here's an undated photo of Gorky's I found at LA Magazine.

www.lamag.com

Gorky's may have closed over 20 years ago, but the neon sign is still there.

GSV