View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
wow i never knew that was a market,it was always a studio of some sort,the brownish building to the right was where the Pickfair Theatre was,my mom use to go to a shoe store to get her shoes repaired.the Pickfair/Picfair was damaged during the riots,it last served as a used appliance store (dad bought a 30s wedgewood stove there in 85)...i posted in cinema treasures a while back about breaking into the pickfair when it was a shell....im glad i did,but there was a drug deal that was going down at the same time and me and a friend saw a guy holding a machine gun.... either way soon after that(1995) they tore it down and replaced it with this brick building.

Now the building to the left for the longest was a light build/electrical store,and i use to get a kick out of the huge yellow light build that was in the parking lot(think randys donuts)...i was really into old movie projectors and got all of my replacement lamps from there...i guess they went out of business around 03 or so....sorry for the long winded post but its fun to see things that you saw everyday while growing up that are now long gone.
Ok so this is gonna be a killing two birds with one stone post.. We talked about the LArwy work trucks,a few years ago(2009) i made a visit to Perris Ca, I had a blast,saw all types of trians and even rode on a few...but the highlight was finding a few trucks on the property...so with my handy cellphone i shot a few pictures of the trucks.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I saw a early 50s 5 window gmc with PE livery..what made it stand out was that it had its original radio which if you know that truck they often came with delete plates...anyways like i said it was a great visit. We left OERM very hungry and headed towards the freeway and thats when we saw an older A-frame building that had a great deal on chili dogs..so we got a few and headed back on the freeway, about a mile in we decided that they were damn good..so we turned around and went back to Tastee Burger and got some more dogs for the road(they were almost as good as pinks).

[IMG][/IMG]
So we make it back to Pasadena and I want to see Christmas Tree Lane...we try to follow the signs but its sorta hard in the daylight to find it. we get to the end of a street and find this huge fancy gate, I wish i knew weather we were in Altadena or Pasadena so i could pin point the former mansion.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
from what we gathered,at one time it was a mansion,now its a park...anyways it was getting late and low and behold a few blocks away was Christmas Tree Lane....
[IMG][/IMG]

That was a great day..maybe you can add more info on the trucks wig-wag and i know someone knows more about the mansion...and last but not least this is the Picfair!
[IMG][/IMG]
Photo of Picfair by American Classic Images
all other photos by Me