View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Martin Pal, it's pretty cool 'The Kings' showed up on that 1945 fun map just a couple days after your postcard of the same venue.
(I thoroughly enjoyed your recent posts on Hollywood & Vine)
__
Thanks E_R!

Some more about "The Kings." I'm discovering this particular corner that I've walked by on numerous occasions has quite a history all its own!

Additional info about The Kings Restaurant (1945 - 1955) from Ron Kessler. The restaurant was opened and owned by his Grandfather, George Distel.
http://ronkessler3.com/Family/Kings/the_kings.htm

The King’s Restaurant opened in 1945 and was envisioned as THE place to go for great seafood, which is ironic considering the postcard I first posted only advertises steak, etc.

Here’s the menu:
LAPL

LAPL

It was open ‘til 4:00 a.m. The two-story restaurant included:
1st floor - restaurant building
Main dining room seats 125
Cocktail lounge seats 45

The main floor included two grand pianos and broadcast equipment. Late at night a disc jockey spun records and broadcast the show over the radio from the restaurant.

2nd floor
Two banquet rooms
Dining balcony
Owner's apartment

With television becoming ever more popular a large screen television was installed for viewing.

A 1948 advertisement.
LAT

A brochure:

To read the green “ad text” above, click HERE.
To read the celebrity quotes, click HERE.

A couple postcards:

For more about The King’s Restaurant and George Distel’s dealings before he opened it, some of which are on the noir side, click HERE.

This particular corner has had quite a history! Click on these other links for what was there prior to The Kings Restaurant and its numerous star-studded incarnations afterwards. And noirish stories, as well. (And, yes, a few elements about these locations have been mentioned in previous posts.)

1926-1931 Bank of West Hollywood
1945-1955 Kings Restaurant (see above links)
1961-1968 - P.J.'s for Cool Jazz
1961 - 1968 Sid & Marty Krofft/P.J.'s Theater
1968 -1972 P.J.'s
Starwood 1973- 1982

Presently, a Russian Restaurant called Traktir, , sits at this location.