View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Picworth Market, located at Pico Boulevard and Hayworth Avenue, ca.1940. The neon sign on the right is for Ahrens Bros. Pies.

USC Digital Library

Despite the front being filled in, the building (and its neighbor on the left) seems to have changed very little in just over 70 years.

GSV
wow i never knew that was a market,it was always a studio of some sort,the brownish building to the right was where the Pickfair Theatre was,my mom use to go to a shoe store to get her shoes repaired.the Pickfair/Picfair was damaged during the riots,it last served as a used appliance store (dad bought a 30s wedgewood stove there in 85)...i posted in cinema treasures a while back about breaking into the pickfair when it was a shell....im glad i did,but there was a drug deal that was going down at the same time and me and a friend saw a guy holding a machine gun.... either way soon after that(1995) they tore it down and replaced it with this brick building.

Now the building to the left for the longest was a light build/electrical store,and i use to get a kick out of the huge yellow light build that was in the parking lot(think randys donuts)...i was really into old movie projectors and got all of my replacement lamps from there...i guess they went out of business around 03 or so....sorry for the long winded post but its fun to see things that you saw everyday while growing up that are now long gone.