View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
The best reason I can think of is that the "new" garage was simply repurposing the existing Times basement. The entire shape is the same including that extra chunk at the back, and if they were building a new structure there's no reason not to build it larger and eliminate that extended corner. On Hunter's shot I can see what appears to be a bit of wall sticking up above the top of the remaining basement. Like they tore down the building but left that little bit of first floor wall as it was going to be under the lawn anyway.

Despite its use as a garage, I'm betting it was still originally the Times basement.
I am in complete agreement. As the original times building was destroyed in the 1910 bombing incident, it would make sense that the new and lager times building would have been constructed to withstand any future agitation attempts. The foundation and below grade walls were probably designed to withstand any future attempts.

The garage for the State building obviously used the foundation walls of the expanded times building site to save costs. The angular shape of the garage walls matches the layout of the times building.