View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:40 PM

I'm not leaving any images out of this photoset, even though there's some repetition! It shows the Barker Bros furniture store at 3700 W Santa Barbara Avenue (now 3700 W Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard) in Crenshaw. It's Julius Shulman's "Job 353: Harry Bennett, Barker Brothers (Los Angeles, Calif.),1948". The description says that Harry Bennett was the architect.

That looks like a porte cochère just off Marlton Avenue.

Notice the hills in the background - the area was still quite undeveloped in 1948.

A closer look at the Marlton Avenue side.

Three newly-planted palm trees.

I'm guessing that that's the shadow of Mr Shulman.

Looking straight at the entrance.

A display window near the porte cochère.

All from Getty Research Institute

The website you-are-here.com claims that the building was a 1948 Claud Beelman design, which disagrees with the photoset description above. I tried to resolve whose work it was, but the online building records only have a digital image of a 1958 alteration that added "new caisson beams and walk" (I searched for the original address).

Here's the building in June 2011. The signs indicate that it had been used for a variety of purposes, including a swap meet.

GSV

This image is from just one year later. Today, only the small grassy areas on the sidewalk survive. We're also missing the center palm tree, but, to quote Meatloaf, "two out of three ain't bad"!

GSV