View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Yeah, I have a Chilli's right down the street and I don't understand how that was overlooked!
The article states that 33 restaurants outside the City's limits were listed in last year's guide, including at least two (Sen in Oak Park and Found in Evanston) given the Bib Gourmand ranking. The absence of all 33--and any other restaurants outside Chicago proper--makes it pretty obvious that this isn't an issue of suburban entitlement.

It does explain a lot; the Bib Gourmand list this year was curiously shorter than what most people were expecting. But it leads to more questions, specifically: Why? The subtext is not enough funds, which is, to me, kind of mind-boggling when that wasn't an issue in years prior and when they don't include any kind of caveat at the beginning of their guide.

It's also incredibly frustrating. The guide for San Francisco is expansive, covering Sonoma County in the north all the way down to San Jose, well over 100 miles to the south. Chicago proper, by contrast, is only about 26 miles at its greatest extent. Of course, Chicago's hinterland may not have the same food culture as SF's, but, based on guides from past years, it's clear there are still restaurants out there that deserve to be acknowledged.