View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 6:39 PM

While looking for pictures of Melrose Avenue I came across a set of 47 pictures showing flooding in 1951. There are many commercial premises in the pictures, but I decided to concentrate on three of the residential properties.

The caption at the bottom of this one reads: "Mrs Phoebe Horn, 1518 Electric Ave[nue], Venice, 12-29-51."

USC Digital Library

Now partly hidden by plants and a fence, the house looks relatively unchanged.

GSV

I've cropped the caption from this picture, but in its original form it was unreadable anyway. Once I'd mirrored the image and severely changed the levels it was just possible to make out: "Mrs Fred Pirie & friends on porch, 6577 2nd Ave[nue], 12-29-51." Initially I read the name as "Pine", but the 1956 CD lists Evelyn Josephine Pirie at 6577 2nd Avenue.

USC Digital Library

Some brickwork has been added at the front, and a boxy extension at the rear, but Mrs Pirie's house is still there.

GSV

One street west and Marjory Beggs' job of selling this house just got harder. The caption says: "Marooned house for sale, 6422 3rd Ave[nue], 12-29-51." Luckily, it looks like the water stopped in the garden.

USC Digital Library

Just like the previous house, awnings now seem to be popular in this neighborhood. As far as I can tell, the houses on either side are also the same ones that appear in the picture above.

Bing Streetside