View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
I figured that you would answer that question being an old Navy Man. I was home-ported in San Diego, we were tied up at North Island "the Admiral got a good place to park his Heavy Cruiser Flagship' and kept my clothes in one. First thing you did when you hit the beach Fri. was to head to the locker club and change, then the Grayhound Terminal for a trip to L.A. and home. Then Sun. night reverse that scenario.
Locker clubs also did tailoring, sell uniforms and clothes etc. depending on the size of the club that is.
That was no longer the policy when I was a sailor in the mid '70's but do remember that the locker clubs still existed in downtown San Diego, IIRC a few were repurposed as pool halls. FWIW was also on a ship homeported at Coronado/North Island and my routine was to occasionally fly home to S.F. on PSA, could afford it if we had been out to sea for awhile.

(sorry, a bit off topic but does at least relate to southern California close to L.A....and the locker clubs/pool halls definitely had a noir vibe back in the day ;-)