View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 12:24 AM

There are, of course, exceptions but as a general rule

I favor greenspace, landscaping and scale as organic considerations over building to the absolute limits of property. Further, I think the elected officials were (philosophically) onto something when they instituted the 150' height limit in the early twentieth century. I have no particular objection to the Knights of Pythias of greater Tustin's headquarters but I'm not sure their rather understated building cuts one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
I can both agree and disagree. While I, too, hate buildings plopped down in front of buildings and ruining view (One of Jansen's peeves) I very much like bringing structures right down to the sidewalk in CBDs.

The Cinerama, in fact, always stuck me as out of place (why is this theater, which would work perfectly well in Sherman Oaks or Anaheim, sitting here amidst a sea of parking in what is supposed to be DOWNTOWN Hollywood?)

And they can go overboard with the trees. You'll find no greater arbor-lover than me....99% of the time. But in those 1% of cases, trees can DETRACT, not add, to the street scene.

The Knights of Pythias Building (1925), Downtown Tustin. What passes for a "cool old building" in what for most of its history was a small farm town.

Late 1930s.

Late 1950s.