View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 7:15 AM

Hello, everyone, and thanks to all of you for the fantastic thread. I've registered here just to chime in to say thanks, and eventually comment on the images. I'm only 15 pages in, but I've noticed a few things.

First, post #67, page 4 of the thread, second picture: I believe that image is from 1938. Looks like the movie theater advertises "first run pictures" on the side of the marquee. The movies running that day are "Hard to Get" (with Dick Powell) and "Orphans of the Street", both of which came out in 1938, according to IMDB. Looking closely, I see that there are a bunch of African-Americans in the lower left-hand corner, which struck me as odd at first, since I haven't seen many in any of the pictures I've been able to get through so far. But then I looked again, and it's a shoe-shine parlor. Wow, just wow. Great images of life from that time.

Second - post #71, same page, the old Chinatown photos. The Old Gold cigarette ads are hilarious - "Not a cough in a carload" (second picture)! If you look at the fifth picture in that post, the last one, you can see the same signs for Old Gold cigs. So, same street, different angle.

Finally, back on the Ralphs photos, 'round about page 15, I drive past one of those old stores all the time - the one on Pasadena Ave. I'm going to have to pay special attention to that the next time I do.

OK, back to page 16. Forgive me if any of this has been mentioned, I have a lot of catching up to do. Again, many thanks, I may be as excited as Sopas_ej was when he first stumbled on this thread ...