View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 10:43 PM

First National Bank Building, Hollywood and Highland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

As most of you know, thousands of vintage buildings in the Los Angeles area have lost architectural decorative elements due to safety concerns w future earthquakes.
(you don't want a 300lb stone urn landing on your head!)

So I am surprised the large 'obelisks' on the First National Bank building are still in place.

https://vimeo.com/136228343

Does anyone know, have they been reinforced?

I ask that because I don't any brackets securing them to the building. (perhaps metal rods have been placed within the obelisks)

It would be interesting to find out what safety precautions were included in the last restoration.
__
I'm sure Building and Safety has had a look at it, but there was no "last restoration". The building is mostly empty. Only the ground floor, mezzanine and basement are offered for rent because the mechanical systems are shot on the upper floors.

Some people think the city should take it over and restore it. Millions were spent on the Hollywood Western Building and it's not near as iconic.

Often credited (or partly credited) to Raymond M. Kennedy (1891-1976), lead architect at Meyer and Holler for many years (he also did the Chinese Theater and the Mode O' Day/International Mart).

Another of Kennedy's projects was the Ocean Center Building in Long Beach, somewhat reminiscent of the First National Bank Building:

wiki

The obelisks which top the Chinese are much bigger:

la.com

The rooftop gardens and forecourt palms are gone, but the obelisks are still sprouting stuff:

lainsidertours

Remember the ca 1958 pair of neon dragons at the Chinese? Here's what happened to them

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM. Reason: add image