View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
When I personally see Wilmington, The Downtown area (and especially the Riverfront) feel safe to me. It's just that most of the crime and where I don't feel safe is when you cross the Christina River towards Vandever Avenue and east of I-95 towards Union Street (This is a lot like Chicago in the sense that when I went last summer, downtown and the whole park area (forgot what its called) feel safe and have less crime, it's just that there are some outskirt areas that are crime hotspots). Those general areas don't feel safe and are also where most (if not all) the crime happens, particular in the Vandever Avenue area. I think that if the city put some more focus on those areas, that could help lower crime rates more than just revitalizing downtown and Market Street (Not saying I don't appreciate what they did with Market Street, because I like what they are doing to give Wilmington more of an alive downtown. I think we just need to put more focus than we currently do in the crime hotspots).
As someone who lives in the nearby the area you suggested, I can say that the city IS putting in effort with these communities and I expect that to increase rapidly soon. Just to give a little insight on all that's going on;

On Vandever Ave, they've started building the four townhomes where Waltz used to stand, as they announced last year, last time I drove by they were padding the basements (not sure what the correct term is).

In addition to that, across the way on Governer Printz, they're prepping to knockdown that entire area of riverside (with the project looking rowhomes) and redevelop to be somewhat more like the houses across the way, like they did years ago. I think that's going to take a while though because it's all section 8, so they have to relocate everyone iirc.

On N Market, the Dollar General was built a little over year ago or so? And really cleaned up that area pretty nicely.

Around me, I've witnessed at least 3 different corner stores revamp their exteriors and interiors to be more in line with that of which you'd see in New York. In fact, one of them went from your typical run of the mill convenience store, to a full blown market with groceries and fresh produce.

I've also seen an abandoned building converted into a nice little salon.

In terms of housing revitalization, there is a LOT that you don't hear about or see. Just within a block or two of my house, there's about 6, if not more, houses undergoing revamps, and being converted to gas and ac to be more in line with modern demands.

Also right up the road from me, there's a community garden being built, which I'm certain won't see plants until the spring.

Jumping to the other side of town, around fourth street, you have the creative district in FULL force, gentrifying that area, and prepping for development to spill over from orange street.

Also on Lancaster Ave, a brand new fancy checkers just opened, and that eye sore of KFC and Taco Bell is being renovated to what seems to be their more modern design.

Also lets not forget the Flats Redevelopment, one of the biggest anchors to making Union Street a destination, along with those luxury apartments being built on the corner.

Regarding Union Street, they also did just put in bike lanes, and reduce the speed, as well as the lanes to two and allow reverse in parking. And I believe 10th street received some bike lanes as well.

And that's just a handful of things going on outside of downtown, and even outside of city limits, like that one post I believe TCO posted about a New Castle Apartment project, and that was completely out of the blue and random. So there is definitely interest sparking in Wilmington, and it's only a matter of time until you're getting hit with new projects every week, perhaps we'll get our own thread again haha.

Police presence is also WAYYYYYYY up that what is ever was with Williams.

Last sidenote, southside, which is definitely by far the most blighted of the neighborhoods, is being flattened and gentrified as South Wilmington, so there's that.