View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
Honestly I am underwhelmed with anything recent I've seen in terms of development plans for that site. I know i'm dreaming but with all the trouble to build the deck park I wish we could be seeing a whole new dynamic expansion of our Downtown and skyline there. I think development just for the sake of development doesnt make sense. I wish we could be see something like Pittsburgh's version (much smaller) of Hudson Yards there with iconic new towers. I would hate it if we just end up with some mid rise office park and some mixed income apartments. BIG had the most innovative vision but it doesnt look like we will get anywhere close...Heck, i would even settle for one iconic new tower there!
Unfortunately, I think that a big commercial tower is pretty much impossible right now in Pittsburgh. Our commercial real estate prices aren't high enough to build on spec, and there aren't the sort of anchor tenants which would be needed in order to justify the financing.

Unless PNC decided to build yet another one, I struggle to think about who would occupy it. UPMC seems like an obvious answer, but their top-level corporate (beyond the individual hospitals) is pretty thin on the ground. Dick's Sporting Goods is really the only remaining suburban corporate HQ in our metro (and as a retailer - and a money loser - I don't think they'd want to take on the cost of moving downtown).