View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
BINGO! Don't you get it? It just not a high priority for BC. The majority of BC taxpayers live on the coast and that's where the infrastructure $$ are going. The Feds are free to do what they wish, build a freeway thru a 'wilderness' park lol. People on the BC coast don't really care about that remote part of the province, nor should we! Its not a go-to destination

The fact is: the traffic numbers on the #1 thru the BC Rockies (west of Salmon Arm) are insignificantly small compared to the many highways in the Okanagan, LM and Vancouver Island. Plus, our tourism is from the states (I-5/Air/Cruise Ship) and Asia (air) - not from the east (road from Alberta).

BC is about to get an NDP government too, and that gov will be supported from VI and the LM - good luck with much happening out on there in the fringes for 10 or more years! After the gateway program is done, the next focus will be VI.

Cheers.
At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but I think you really are a Vancouver centric individual who thinks the world revolves around them. BC is a large province and the trans-Canada highway links it to the rest of our country. If you think that's insignificant then that's sad for you.

The BC gov website indicates a billion $ a year goes over the Donald bridge. Hardly chump change. And a lot more would go through BC if they had decent transportation networks.

I think the interior cities and citizens would disagree with you regarding tourism. Although BC has done a lot lately to really hurt tourism such as charging for parking at Prov parks. They finally removed that but I know many Albertan's that have found new destinations outside of BC because of it and similar anti-tourism initiatives.

BC spends a fortune advertizing for tourism, but given your "nor should we" comment I now get the arrogant "BC is better than where you're from" sign welcoming people to the province.

As for the comment about building a freeway through wilderness park... there was a lot of opposition to twining the highway through Banff from environmental groups and various people that feel parks shouldn't be for humans. Now that it's done many of these groups are amazed that they did it right. They made it safer for humans and for people. The Banff park animal overpasses and underpasses are being copied worldwide in areas where animals must be protected from highways. You see - we can have it all - progress & environmental protection. I just wish the Feds would hurry up and fix the highways in Yoho and Glacier - since they're vital transportation links to Canada. You know... the remote areas outside of Vancouver.

Last edited by Yahoo; Sep 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM.