Thread: CMHR | Winnipeg
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 8:43 PM

It's been pointed out elsewhere, but the CMHR in some ways is reminiscent of the Mont. St. Michel silhouette. In that Specifier article ('specifier canadian museum human' in google), Predock's original concept sketch on p.4 reflects that parallel too in a way, especially given the materials of stone, glass, his reference to 'prairie light', etc.

At the same time, apparently the tower part was obligatory in the request for proposals/design competition anyway (something that maybe wasn't followed in all the architects' submissions?), and it mimics the nearby pedestrian bridge tower (in the same way the MB Hydro building shape parallels the WAG, a building which B. Kuwabara has said he admires if I'm not mistaken).

image © Danièle Laurent
www.linternaute.com
(http://www.linternaute.com/photo_num...80/le-mystere/)

Interesting article:

http://archrecord.construction.com/f...rds/06gold.asp

"Predock often likens his notions of place to a road cut that exposes many layers of influences, from deep bedrock and ancient artifacts to newer accretions of asphalt and structure. “I try to understand place on a deeper level than just the physical or environmental aspects,” he explains. “It includes cultural and intellectual forces, too. It’s an inclusive approach that brings in many disciplines and sees place as a dynamic thing.”

While New Mexico has helped shape Predock’s concept of place, he doesn’t see it limiting his architecture. “The lessons I’ve learned here about responding to the forces of a place can be implemented anywhere,” he says. “I don’t have to invent a new methodology for new contexts. It is as if New Mexico has already prepared me....

His design for the Canadian Museum for Human Rights calls for a pile of stone galleries wrapped by a glass cloud. To create the cloud, he will use shingled glass with photovoltaic cells embedded in some places."