View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 8:21 PM

Here's a ladieswear store called Lucy's that Julius Shulman photographed in 1948. It's "Job 226: Lucy's (Los Angeles, Calif.),1948".

It looks like the photoshoot drew some spectators outside.

I'm surprised there weren't more men looking through the window .

All from Getty Research Institute

Looking through the 1956 CD, I found Lucy's Sports Shop (ladies' apparel) at 5515 Santa Monica Boulevard. Chuckaluck posted some circa 1950 pictures from a ladieswear store called Lucy's in post #15244. The door looks to be a very similar design to the one seen here, but one of Chuckaluck's pictures has a sign for the departments on the second floor, and this appears to be a single story building. I think it's safe to say that it's not the same location, but were the two stores connected?

Here's 5515 Santa Monica Boulevard today. The old Lucy's store has either been replaced or extensively remodeled.

GSV

I was trying to work out if the building to the right was the same one pictured in the Shulman photos. It's difficult to tell in the picture above, but the building was only painted sometime between between February and June 2014. Here's a closer view from 2011 which shows the brickwork very clearly, and it's a perfect match with the Shulman pictures.

GSV

The first two Shulman pictures show the opposite side of the street refelected in the windows. Spinning the GSV camera around, I discovered that all the stores have been replaced, mainly by the parking lot for a strip mall.