View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
The interior of this vanished building looks as impressive as the exterior. Another sigh . . . that this was worth saving.

Old City Hall Interior
Lapl
This is the only photo of the interior of that old building which is also one of my favorites of a time now vanished that I've ever seen. Does anyone know what this room is for sure? It appears that it might be the city council chamber. Although the furniture is a jumble of desks and chairs, I see seven desks and some of the chairs are swivel and some not, and a rostrum and the public galleries on the side looking down. Can’t tell if the area behind the railing might have a bench seat along the wall or if it’s just a public access to the floor. Whichever, this old building was a treasure for sure.

Since the chandelier is probably the center of the room the photographer was probably standing in the far corner, perhaps in a doorway. The dark area at the bottom right looks like brick and is probably a hearth suggesting a fireplace feeding one of the chimneys visible on the exterior.

Imagine that big room in council session on a cold day, with the gallery full of onlookers and a big roaring fire while they discuss the merits of realigning the streets and building a new city call…