View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
It would have been nice, but unfortunately, a significant portion of both collections were apparently curated by people who had only a cursory knowledge of L.A. history (and in some cases, it seems no knowledge at all), so if the photos had been geotagged, I, personally, wouldn't give them much credence. In fact, every time I look at a photo's accompanying description on the USC and LAPL sites, I take it with a big grain of salt. Some errors I've found on both sites have been absolutely ludicrous. It's really a shame how inaccurate some of the archives' information is.

-Scott

Scott-- I've found the same thing-- often when I've found inaccuracies I've emailed corrections, citing a source. Although I feel a little didactic, I've always gotten an appreciative email in reply. The number of mistakes I've found does lead me to question the labels on all pictures on these sites, but I guess in the end I'm just glad the pictures themselves have been made so accessible--and piecing together the truth about them keeps us busy here!