View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissib View Post
Where did you get your data?
The data I had were for 2003 and 2004, so as you can see, there are fluctuations from year to year. In any case the map on the website that you linked to clearly shows the pattern of high fertility in northwestern France that I mentioned, which is the area of France with the least immigrants. On the other hand, there are many immigrants along the Mediterranean, but fertility rates there are quite low as can be seen on the map.

This is not to deny that immigrants have higher fertility rates than native French people (I have already talked about that in post #7), but it is misinformation to claim that the higher fertility rate in France compared to the rest of Europe is due to immigrants. There have been several papers by INSEE and INED that have shown it is not true. INSEE and INED have found that immigrants only increase the French fertility rate by 0.1, which is similar to what can be observed in other European countries by the way. People with a (far right) political agenda usually claim that the high fertility in France is due to immigrants, and they use Seine-Saint-Denis as an example, which is a lot of bad faith given that Seine-Saint-Denis is such a small area where only 2% of the French population live and is in no way representative of the rest of France.