View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

usc digital archive

This photo with the steps leading up to the school reminded me of a charming letter I had in my files.

I've been meaning to say that I also find this to be a very fascinating post, the letter being a firsthand telling of what life was like for a child in 1880s Los Angeles. Also, what fascinates me is that the lady was the managing owner (or married to the managing owner) of a place called the Beechwood Auto-tel in San Luis Obispo. I often drive to San Francisco on long weekends, and I take the 101 and stop at San Luis Obispo, that city being the halfway point on the 101 between LA and SF, more or less. I looked up the Beechwood Auto-tel and unfortunately, it seems it was long demolished. But I found a map of where it was located: http://japantownatlas.com/share/SLO%...town%201.5.pdf
If you scroll to the bottom, you can see where in SLO the Beechwood Auto-tel was located.

As an aside, I wasn't even aware that San Luis Obispo had a Japantown. I learn something new on the internet all the time. BTW if anyone hasn't been, San Luis Obispo is a cute little town, complete with a Spanish Mission. A campus of California State Polytechnic University is also located there and gives the town a youthful vibe.

~ Charles Bukowski