View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:28 PM
BANNED

Copied over from construction thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
It's just a fad here in Calgary too. All the urbanist hipsters who are are paying large to line up and eat outside will clue into that fact and that will be the end of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I witnessed an elderly lady go up to the Fiasco truck and ask for a coffee. "Sorry we don't serve that, but we do have an Americano"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
in the US at least it seems that food trucks are a fad that is already in decline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Storm View Post
IMHO we've reached peak food truck here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I suspect the same will happen here too. The food trucks with good value will stay in business.
Agree with these sentiments, with some observations:
- they are not cheap, and often more expensive for same items you could get anyway
- the fact they can service areas that are less serviced, or service festivals / concerts / special events is a positive, and will allow a reasonable number to stay in business and do well
- I think most people now know that an Americano is simply a term for a coffee that costs double, so the education mandate is beyond peak
- The social media buzz about them when they started up has all but gone away. People used to invite them to events as much for their tweeting and associated tweeps as anything else. The quality of those tweeps / turn-over ratio vis-a-vis special event attendance, has gotten worse over the last year, so it is not seen as much of a value any more

They will not go away though. They have filled a niche. I really hope that parking lots are not specifically created so that they can all park in a circle like a tail-gate party on an expansive parking lot outside an American football stadium. I think it is better when their presence animates street life. That's just my opinion.