View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 12:13 AM

All very true (I was going the add the seeming Gothic qualities, but you beat me to it.

Since this is something of a hobo stew, let me add one more: The air shafts between the towers seem very narrow and proportionally out of whack (no, that's not a scientific term but the best I can come up with right now. LOL)

Here's one to ponder: The Richard Neutra-designed replacement is now 50 years old......which is just about the life-span of the original.

Quick! - Form a mental image of the 1962 version......Yeah, I didn't think you could do it. I sure couldn't. It's a featureless Modernistic block. Photos here. (I can almost smell the cheap, government-issue floor wax through my computer screen )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas_...951383/detail/

Thankfully Neutra died in 1970, before he could inflict further damage. LOL......

(I must admit I actually like some of the private homes and small apartments he did. His larger structures are wretched, however.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Thank you for putting into words several of the design elements that made the spook-tacular Hall of Records what is was.

Add the IMO Gothic, almost bat wing skeletal shapes on the roof ,and the twin shotgun upper floors that recall the ghostly hallway twins from The Shining:

The old alignment angle of the building (which gives me goosebumps just thinking about the ghosts of Los Angeles past) stood out in a stark black & white photo in our family's World Book Encyclopedia collection, 1965 edition. :O