View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

'mystery' location

The negative for this photograph was on eBay a couple months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

I seem to remember that out on San Fernando Rd, south of the confluence of the Arroyo Seco and the River, but it's been a long time since I was out that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post

First, I want to believe that this is shot at the intersection of San Fernando Road and Doran St looking SSE, just past the 134 Ventura Freeway overpass. I used to shop at an industrial supply place on Doran around there in the 1980's, and I think the Levitz sign was at that location, even though the Levitz building was further south.

Second, along the lines of Levitz and the diagonal spur, this could also be at a crossing that no longer exists, further SSE from Doran, where Cutter St meets W San Fernando Road on the west side of the tracks, and where W California Ave meets San Fernando road on the east side of the tracks.

The Levitz may have been where Cutter and Exchange come together, where Cinelease stands. The Cinelease roof sign kinda has a Levitz feel to it, though the size and shape aren't completely true.
There may well have been one of those Levitz Furniture signs at Doran Street (the number of ways to cross the railroad tracks is limited), but I think we're looking south at the intersection of W San Fernando Road and Brazil Street. Here's the view in July 2014 when the crossing was temporarily blocked. The signs on the east side of the tracks at this time indicated that access to Brazil Street was via a diversion to Doran Street.

GSV

Just a few months earlier, in February 2014, the spur tracks were still visible where they crossed W San Fernando Road.

GSV

Going back to August 2011, the crossing was much more open, and the small shed just over the fence was yet to be built.

GSV

Across the tracks, Brazil Street becomes W Broadway. I think that the building on the far left of e_r's picture is still there. It's currently Frank's Burgers at 740 W Broadway.

GSV

I found the image below on a blog called Atwater Village Newbie. It confirms the location of Levitz Furniture at Cutter and Exchange. Looking at Historic Aerials, I'd say that Cinelease is in the same building.

Atwater Village Newbie on flickr