View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus37 View Post
One of the things continually running through my mind when I'm perusing this thread with all the street names and locations is the 1947 song Pico and Sepulveda, written by Jule Styne and Eddie Maxwell, and performed by Freddy Martin (under the pseudonym "Felix Figueroa & His Orchestra").

Click to play (courtesy of Tumblr)

It probably has to do with hearing my dad sing it so many times as we drove around LA on our Summer trips. Maybe if you grew up in the area with all these names as part of your daily vocabulary (and without the parental singing) the connection doesn't happen, but I can't help but wonder how many other folks are familiar with it.

I was disappointed to find so little of interest at the actual intersection of Pico and Sepulveda, but then again, the song does say "where nobody's dreams come true" ...although that may just be referring to the actual tar pits
i have a friend who loved this song...its too catchy for me to like it,i mean im going to hear "pico and sepulveda" for the rest of the day.anyways from what i remember reading in the book "la music history tour" by art fein,the intersection either didnt exsist in 1947 when the song came out,but i dont buy that,anawalt lumber operates at the intersection and next to that is a very nice art deco auto shop,plus the pacific electric met up with the "air line"(i think) there.so maybe art was trying to say that the intersection was "industrial"?