View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Yes, the dates could vary by several years in either direction (we see that sort of thing all the time) but I think the side board advertising has expanded with the 'Coca Cola' advertising in the '08 image which would mean the White Star soap image was painted over while the smaller black (appearing) signage nearer the front of the store goes the other way, ie larger in the earlier pic and smaller in the later one. although, now that I say that, the smaller square above the black signage could very well have been a separate, portable sign, maybe printed on tin and therefore not actually part of the wall painting. Of course none of that explains the sudden expansion of the telephone crossmembers.
Doesn't soap usually follow spilled cola? Not sure, but the dirt roadway may have received some grading in the soap photo. But that could be due to intervening weather or maybe the roadway debris makes it seem like someone was sweeping.

Any idea what is directly behind the grocery store? Business or residence? I think I see a balcony with flower bins or small shrubs. In either case, it looks more substantial and better executed than the grocery store.

Landscaped balcony?

For sale or lease. 207 Broadway?

USC Digital

Levitating building and possible road improvement?
USC Digital