View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 11:08 PM

I noticed an odd little survivor from the late 19th century (?) recently. In the terrific 1952 photo below (taken from the top of City Hall) of the former Maier and Zobelein Brewery (Brew 102) one can see a bag company building beyond the brewery, across N Center Street (E Commercial St is on the right, the N Garey St on-ramp is in the foreground):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

usc digital archive

(detail)

usc digital archive(detail)

I've spent quite a bit of time in this area because the 400-year-old, giant sycamore, El Aliso, was sited in the wagon yard at the center of the brewery (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10490) immediately in front of the old hipped-roofed building in the center of the brewery complex:

(detail)

The original brewery, built in 1889 on the site of Jean-Louis Vignes' 1837 El Aliso Winery (which in turn was built on the site of the Tongva village of Yangna), used to look like this view from circa 1900, after El Aliso was cut down in 1895. One can see what I think is the same hipped-roofed building, then with a lantern crowning it, smokestacks emerging from the corners of the roof. The wagon yard, former site of El Aliso, is in front:

LAPL California Index (originally posted by e_r)

Anyway, the bag company building is still with us. One can see it here, beyond N Center St and the site of the brewery:

gsv

Two closer views from N Center St:

gvs

gvs

In this aerial, one can see the bag company building to the right (east), now the NW corner of a larger complex. The Maier & Zoebelein Brewery site is the vacant lot at center, where El Aliso once grew. The paved area to the left of that is the former brewery parking lot (compare with the first photo at the top of this post). The N Garey St on-ramp is at left. N Vignes Street forms a T-junction with E Commercial just left of center.

google maps

I sincerely hope the site of El Aliso is saved from redevelopment. After an archaeological excavation, this extremely historic location should be turned into a park with a suitable marker. Anybody want to help me do that? I don't know where to start.

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM. Reason: add photo credit