View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Mystery building.

I was looking at the amazing aerial Hoss posted and one nearby building caught my eye.

It appears to be a turn of the century house . . . what with the chimneys and all . . . (it might have a red tile roof as well)

I was looking at the LAPL site at the other photos of the construction of the Cinerama Dome in 1963. HERE. The site also has 4 color aerial photos of the area from 1965 and, for what it's worth, ALL of the buildings on that corner block (the block with red circle) are gone in the 1965 aerials. (Except one in the corner blocked by the Sunset Vine Tower in the above photo.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Lots of sites of former businesses that are aren't there anymore in those photos: Wallich's, Pep Boys, The Hangover, Norm's, Hollywood Canteen, etc, etc. I was hoping to see the Shack on Cole, but it's not shown.

I found this May 25, 1963, Los Angeles Times ad for the 1451 Cahuenga Blvd. address (where the Hollywood Canteen was) as Le Grand Comedy Theatre with Lenny Bruce:

Lenny Bruce was nominated for an Emmy yesterday. Rather, the actor playing Lenny Bruce in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Newspapers.com

This is the only photo, dated 1966, I've ever seen of the Le Grand Comedy Theatre and there's no awning. It was demolished in 1966. (Missing photo in previous NLA post.)

HistoricHollywoodPhotographs

The second ad from above is for the Ivar Theatre playing Under the Yum-Yum Tree...I didn't find the marquee, but I found a Playbill for the production.
It starred Bill Bixby. The link says "This play was the Ivar’s longest running show, May 1962 to March 1964."

ThisStage And a flyer:Amazon

Third ad: Les Poupées de Paris at P.J.'s, Crescent Heights and Santa Monica Blvd.: (I thought this was previously mentioned on NLA, but didn't find it.)

DWPviaFacebook