View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
California tourism is at an all time high. It's not the tempature of the water that keeps tourists/vacationeers away. The state's isolation defintely hurts, as I know many people who choose Florida over California because it's closer/cheaper to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Personally, i'm really happy that California doesnt generally allow high rises on the beach / beach cities. Im perfectly happy with concentrating them in Long Beach, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey and perhaps one or 2 more cities. I love the small town vibe of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, etc.
Not only is Florida closer to more people (US, Caribbean, Latin America) and has warmer waters, the coastal air temperature is on average 10+ degrees higher than coastal SoCal, which is the warmest coast CA has. I think the difference in temperature definitely plays a part.

Although CA will definitely need to build more highrises, I'm in agreement that it should not be along the entire coast.

They have nice small town vibes but there are other cities along the coast that can pick up the slack. I'd really like to see Long Beach be even more aggressive with highrise residential, especially in its downtown area. It already has Belmont Shore as the small town beach-vibe area. Huntington Beach could see more mid-rise apartments. The soil there is very susceptible to liquefaction so I understand not going crazy with highrises there. Newport Center, Santa Monica, etc., are other areas.

I'm also okay with developing the desert between the Antelope Valley and High Desert. This could really be a middle-class hub for all of California.