View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 4:10 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post
I think you misunderstood me. Since it cost so much money to build a new terminal and its importance to the region, SMF should ensure that the new terminal be viable for many many years to come. With addition of only 5 more gates, how many years would it take before there is need for another expansion? I think its far more economical to build a new terminal with 30 gates and let the airlines gradually fill it instead of just adding 5 more gates and having to do this process all over when capacity is reached.
NO in fairness you make a good point.

But I think the facility will still be the same size, but instead of beginning with 23 gates they are just putting in 19. It will be able to add four additonal gates by just adding the pedestrian bridges/gates.

Addtionally they are still able to add on to both ends of Terminal A's concourse and the ticketing and baggage claim areas to expand that terminal by 8 more gates.

And as Neuhickman noted this is phase I of the Airport Master Plan, which calls for a third terminal C west of the new central terminal beyond 2020.

The initial expense of this project has more to do with the roadways and new central terminal, which will eventually take over all ticketing and baggage claim functions. If it were only a new concourse, the price tag would be much lower.

Even with a reduction in gates, SMF will be well postioned to add addtional gate capacity quickly.