View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for adding your personal pictures of the Oviatt Building, FW. Those triangular panels around the entrance are beautiful up close.

--------------

I'm not sure what happened to the Northridge Medical Arts Building! I thought it might have been damaged in the Northridge earthquake, especially when I saw an LA Times article headed Cal State Northridge Razes Neutra Building. Upon reading the article, I discovered that it referred to a different building designed by Dion's father, Richard Neutra. I'm guessing that the Medical Arts Building survived the earthquake, because an LA Times article called Brute of a Building describes the brutalist architecture, and makes no mention of damage, despite being published just a few months after the quake.

The overall massing of the current building is the same, and the sloping section on the roof is still visible, but the look is very different. To me, it now looks like those faux-Italianate apartments that have been rightly derided here and elsewhere (I won't give any more publicity to their creator).

GSV
Apparently the current building is actually the same old building but it was radically remodeled into it's current form.
It went from European Brutalism to California Neo Italian-Spanish...whatever.

Reference article about the remodel: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-...-arts-building