View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRE8IVEDESTRUCTION View Post
I'm loving this thread!! Please keep the old pics coming. L.A is a very noirish town indeed. Coincidently, I was watching the 1950 noir film "D.O.A". There's several scenes in the end that show how vibrant the Historic core in downtown used to be. You can clearly see shots of of the "Hotel Rosslyn" and "Million Dollar Hotel" all lit up...(the whole film is uploaded on Youtube btw)
I started a new commute in July, which requires me to drive from East L.A. towards downtown in the evening. Once it finally started getting dark earlier, I saw that the massive Million Dollar Hotel rooftop neon sign has been restored. Quite spectacular. Maybe it's been like that for a while, but I live west of downtown and the sign faces east, so I've never noticed it! (Although my view from home would almost certainly be blocked by the Bunker Hill towers anyway.)

BTW, the wonderful Bendix sign malfunctioned about two weeks ago -- ever since then, only the big "B" has been lighting up, the other letters are dark.