View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 8:04 PM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I love the Alexandria & environs. I was just blithering five pages back about wanting the roof and facade illuminations restored to the Alexandria Hotel as was promised by the rehabbers. Since the nuking of Bunker Hill saved the Historic Core, many of us have opinions, I'm sure, on what should be done with it.

There's a good-sized piece of cleared land immediately to the south of the Alexandria (between it and the Arcade Building, which gobbled up Mercantile Place), which backs on to the rear of the distinctly low-rise 1910 Clune's Broadway/Cameo Theater, giving the site a lovely open feeling. It would make a great garden for the Alexandria or a nice public, pocket park (something we don't have enough of). It could be named Afton Park after the hotel that was there (actually the Odeon too was between the Alexandria and the Afton). Open-air movies could be shown on the back wall of the Cameo, which is still intact enough to be returned to its original purpose.

If that sounds more gentrified than noir, no doubt somebody could pull off a crime-of-passion or two there still.

Well, heres the story on that.

Apparently, that lot next to the Alexandria is the potential home to a new market/parking/apartment structure. Its not official yet, but I have been hearing about it for awhile now. As for a park, we are getting a small park up between the El Dorado and Rowan, just north of 5th street on the east side, but that seems to be taking forever to get finished...

Here is a link to a story that mentions the potential market/parking/apartment structure...

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/d...tml?mode=story

It actually doesnt look too too bad, for a modern building that is. Better than that HIDEOUS New Genesis Apartments building on Main just north of 5th...

So...ever wonder what it looks like inside a room of the Alexandria?

Photo by me some time ago...

Prices range from $400 to approx. $850 a month for a place in the Alexandria, depending on the size of your place and view. Your rent includes wat er, electricity, and internet. The average room appears as above, a blueish/grayish concrete floor, relatively high ceilings, no AC, your window may open, ceiling fan, small kitchenette with two burners, a sink, fridge, and cabinet up top. Some rooms have hardwood floors though, which is nice, and some rooms have carpet as well (although not very many). Your bathroom may vary in size as well.

Noir lives on in the Alexandria, its common to see cops in the lobby, wandering the halls, standing outside someones room, telling you to "move along" if you ask if everything is ok. Coroners vehicles appear out front every once in awhile too, and the paramedics appear on a damn near daily basis. But in all honesty, I absolutely love the place, the lame gentrification of downtown with pet stores that sell designer dog boots or fancy wine bars or "simply salads" has not seemed to have affected the Alexandria.

Photo by me some time ago...