View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
His disgust at the realization he was surrounded by the idle rich convinced him that he needed to GTFO. And he did.
This perfectly describes much of Lower Manhattan and North Brooklyn.

I get very disheartened by what I see happening in NYC. Yes, it's always been expensive, but the extent to which foreigners are buying up real estate here really truly is making it difficult for the people who are actually trying to work here.

A good friend of mine bought an apartment in a newish building in Chelsea last year. There are 8 units on his floor and he is the ONLY full time resident. He told me his doorman literally sits around all day pawning for somebody to come home so he can have a few minutes of conversation before losing his mind.

It wasn't always that way. The upside is that it helping with reinvestment in outlying neighborhoods. The downside is that these neighborhoods are filling up with people who make solid 6 figure incomes and anywhere else would make enough to live very close to the core...that gets tiresome after a while. I can only imagine the tumult for people who make less.

This is all good for my first love, however: Philadelphia.