View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bell is classless in the way they let their talent go in salary dumps though they don't even give them 2 weeks notice so they can say goodbye on air. There is an article in the Winnipeg Free Press this week of how 25 year veteran lead anchor man on the CTV Winnipeg 6 o'clock news Gord Leclerc was summoned abruptly on a friday and told he would no longer be with the company immediately and walked him out the door like he stole something not even letting him say goodbye on air and within a week his mother died. Bell are so cutthroat its really tacky not sure who their HR manager is but its really dumb the way they do their salary dumps.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...573730242.html
It's pretty standard in media to let people go like that. It's the ultimate in cancel culture, it's like you never existed. I'm actually surprised the few times I hear of someone being let go and they get to have a final show. Bob McCown, who reportedly was the highest paid radio host in the country when he was let go in the summer of 2019, was allowed to finish out his week on Prime Time Sports on Sportsnet and Fan590. And he handled it like a pro, didn't talk about himself at all, which was rare for him. He probably had a clause in his contract that if he went out in a blaze of glory, he wasn't going to get any money after. You'd think that would be a thing for all of them, really. Most of them aren't exactly wealthy and don't want to blow a nice severance package just to shit talk the station.

I remember one talk show host in London about 15 years ago, the news came out in May that his contract wasn't being renewed and he would be leaving the air at the end of June. The deal was he wasn't allowed to talk about his status at all on the air. And sure enough, every time a caller said something about it he shut them down and said he appreciated it but he wasn't allowed to talk about it. Finally, a few weeks goes by, and he's had enough of shutting everyone down, so he basically says "Fine, the situation sucks, I hate that I'm losing my job and I hate even more that I can't talk about it whenever a caller says something. So I'm not shutting anyone down, what are they gonna do to me anyway?", and that was his last show lol. I don't know if it cost him his package, if he even had one.