View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Arclight Cinemas

The Cinerama Dome under construction, 1962.
LAPL has quite a few pictures showing the construction of the Cinerama Dome from different angles in black & white and color (including the one above). I came across them looking for pictures of the Vine Street Coffee Dan's a couple of weeks ago. Note the NBC building on the left.

lapl.org

Their notes put the date at 1963:

Quote:
Historical Notes

The Pacific Theaters' Cinerama Dome, located at 6360 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, California, was designed to present widescreen Cinerama films and was originally developed by Saul Pick. It was adapted by the noted architectural firm of Welton Becket and Associates and opened on November 2, 1963 with the press premiere of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". Built in only 16 weeks, the domed roof is comprised of 316 pre-cast concrete panels, most of which are hexagonal, and each weighing approximately 3,200 lbs., with a wide screen measuring 32 x 86 feet. The Cinerama Dome, the first and only theater of its kind in the world, has been host to over four decades of premieres and blockbusters; it was declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument on December 18, 1998.
The 1963 18-story International Style Sunset Vine Tower, designed by architect Douglas Honnold of the firm Honnold & Rex, was the first skyscraper built in Los Angeles after the city repealed its 14-story building height limit.

Summary

Aerial view of a Pacific Drive-In Theater property construction site, and the future home of Pacific Cinerama Theatre, located at 6360 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood; view is looking east. Cahuenga Blvd. is horizontally at bottom, curving at lower right; Ivar Ave. is horizontally just above; Vine St. is horizontally at middle; De Longpre Ave. is vertically at right; Sunset Blvd. is vertically at left; Hollywood (101) Freeway is visible in the distance. The Sunset Vine Tower is present on the left. Photograph dated July 1963.

LAPL

--------------------

Flyingwedge, I love those stairs, but I wouldn't fancy climbing them after a night out .