View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 1:18 PM

It should probably be noted too it has in part been community groups pushing for relatively unambitious plans--they have argued against blocking views, too many units, and so on. I think that is a mistake but I don't see that dynamic changing. And even the BIG design fell within those constraints--in a cool way, but still within those limits.

On the plus side, I personally think mid-rise densities are fine for the eastern/southern portions of the site. That won't make it an extension of Downtown, but it will make it an extension of Uptown, and generally support the cohesive development of Oakland, the Hill, and Uptown.

And the plan is to put towers into the remaining northwest part, across from the federal courthouse more or less. For the economic/financial reasons another poster mentioned, I am not sure when that will become viable. But that would be at least a little bit of Downtown crossing over.

Anyway, that's the plan for a lot of reasons, and I have personally made my peace with it. I just want to get it moving already.