Thread: Aerial Photos
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:51 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I don't see Chinese cities ever having the urban decay and decentralization that have plagued many American cities.
No, no--nobody is saying China must necessarily replicate the American experience.

It is a truism that things change over time. We can easily see how much things have changed in China just in the last generation. If China's largest cities continue to suffer, among other things, choking traffic and very dangerous air pollution levels then I absolutely expect to see "middle-class flight" to cleaner, more manageable places. Those who can afford to raise their families in a cleaner environment will almost certainly do so.

China can clean up its big cities, cede future emigres from urban pollution to other nations with more residential options, or allow for the kind of physical environment desired by the emigres. Or maybe it will do all three. But I don't see this leading to a bunch of bombed-out Chinese Detroits. That is very unlikely.