View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 9:03 PM

[QUOTE=unihikid;5929015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Over the years auto dealerships seemed to proliferate like weeds up and down La Brea. I have heard it said that Nugent Chevrolet had a showroom at 3rd and La Brea, although this is not necessarily borne out by a cursory perusal of the directories. I have a vague recollection of an auto showroom at 3rd and La Brea's northwest corner, but can't say for certain it was Nugent or any specific dealer. It may also have been a camera store for a brief time (Samy's?) The location is currently a Trader Joe's. I am told that the building retains the showroom's original leaded glass windows (covered by the awnings - below). Does anyone have any photos of the building when it was occupied by Nugent or some other dealership?
Flickr googlehttp://twicsy.com/i/rmLmBb

I wish when i was younger i had taken pictures of the chevy dealership.it was an OK used car dealership til at least 93,sometime in 94/95 it was a vintage car shop(they had cars from the 60s only).then it was vacant.the building around that time was white,and there use to be huge windows on the corner.I dont think it was ever a samys,i was into vintage cameras then and samys was next to the ralphs,if you went further north on labrea pan pacific cameras was on the left hand side.its now a vintage clothes shop called jet rag.
Unihi:

The building currently housing Trader Joe's was for many years (I remember it in 1960-61, when the Ralph's across the street was built) as housing a furniture store called "Richard W. Lee", purveyors of some of the ugliest stuff you could imagine. (Lots of lamps with crystal drops & the infamous glass coffee tables supported by ceramic panthers with giant rhinestone eyes). Lee occupied the premises until - I think - sometime in the '80s. In its furniture store days, the huge plate-glass windows revealed the store's contents to the world -- had always thought that the place must have been built as an auto dealership.