View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Meanwhile, back in L.A....

As soon as I saw the gray building on the right, I thought, aha! I know I've seen it before. I was certain we looked into here once before...possibly in connection with the Black Dahlia... or did a movie star once live there? Anyway...I couldn't find anything with the %&#@ing "search" feature here ... I'm sure we were once in this bend of freeway, at the door of that gray building... and then I remembered Mabel Monohan: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1235.

It was none other than BARBARA GRAHAM, Noir Princess, who once lived at 1438 Wright Street... well, Rycroft, I know this isn't really about the coral-colored building you were asking about, but I wonder if its story can top 1438's?
Interesting history on the grey building and glad it has a norish connection to stay on topic of the forum

Information on either building is always interesting. I love the history of LA and as someone who lived and worked in the city as an ambulance driver for several years, I've often wondered about what the history and stories were behind so many of the buildings.

I would have liked to have seen if any photos exists of that area before the Santa Monica freeway went in. I know this is just west of the Young Apartments which seem to be a favorite place on here I did manage to find out that both buildings went up in the early 1920s, but unable to find out anything else.

Here's a shot I took on Broadway in 2009 while touring the city (I'm also a photographer). I was surprised when I found a shot that was taken in in 1957 of the exact same area!

Last edited by Rycroft; Dec 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM. Reason: added dates that the buildings went up