View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
people have as much right to complain about the building as they do to compliment it, it's a free forum to do so.
That's true. Not everyone has to agree to be 100 % in awe of the building. We don't stop people from stating how nice it looks, there is no need to stop the opposite. Personally, I'm never offended if someone differs from my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
Okay, we have really, really exhausted this spire/antenna issue by now. It has basically been discussed continuously for months, with different people essentially repeating the same things.
As long as its still visible, it's worth commenting on. Otherwise, why have a thread for a building to begin with? Just to throw praise? Is there a limit to how much you can compliment a building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So the beacon just lights up but doesn't rotate like the Eiffel tower for example?Damn, we're so boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
It actually was rotating. I was close by and I could clearly see it but it just didn't look powerful enough to be seen from a distance. I too hope it's still a test cause that'll be some let down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The toothpick looks even more out of place at night with the top of the tower dark and the rings left unlit. I'm not sure why they would choose to highlight it's least attractive feature.

I'm still thinking that all of that will change a bit. This isn't the finished product, and it was only brought to attention on that day because the CTBUH was focusing on it. They wanted the public to focus as well, and to show how much it "adds" to the building. You can see a little bit of the shine in this cam shot (hardly worth the effort)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
I said before that I hope the CTBUH uses the same criteria they use on existing buildings here to. Well I just read an article online where Daniel Safarik, an architect and spokesman for the CTBUH said the committee could consider amending its height criteria - A move with broader implications that could force a reshuffle in the rankings of the tallest buildings in the world!

That was posted in an earlier article. I believe they would only do that to a) strip spires from height criteria or b) include antenna masts in height.

As it is today, the top 3 in the US would look like this:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...hemisphere.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
Please tell me you're joking.
Tell me you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
If all the city's broadcast needs were already taken care of would the 1776' number be a non issue and they would have stopped at the parapet.
Well, now we get to the larger issue, which no one is talking about, and the media has yet to catch on to. The 1,776 figure is really the only thing about this tower left over from the original site plan concept. Not only did it have to reach that height, but it had to be reached by and upraised, asymmetrical spire that would symbolize Liberty's upraised torch. The redesign caused the spire to be centered, but David Childs kept the 1,776 ft height. Or so it was thought, until it was revealed that the building elevation giving that height didn't include the extra 5 or 6 ft drop from south to north.

The north entrance is basically the same as the south - except there are a small flight of steps leading to the level lobby floor.

This is why the tower will not be 1,776 ft, or even 1,368 ft (which is measured from the south). You can add 5 or 6 ft to those numbers (depending on the exact difference).

In my opinion, instead of focusing on the Sears Tower in Chicago, the media should be asking questions of this.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...d-zero-tower/2

Quote:
Addressing the issue of the lower secondary entrance, a spokeswoman said SOM's hope is that the design will be grandfathered in because it was unveiled in 2005 — four years before the council made its rule change.

"The 'front door' of (One World Trade Center) — symbolically and practically — is the south entrance," SOM said in its email. "This is the entrance that faces the 9/11 memorial and is, therefore, the most significant entrance to the building from every standpoint."
Anybody hungry? Because they're throwing a lot of baloney our way.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2013 at 5:31 AM.