View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
My father operated a grocery store at the intersection of Burton Way and Doheny Drive. I grew up in that market bagging groceries and riding the delivery trucks. I remember the Westwood Manor. And now we live in Texas. Go figure. I agree about this thread. It would be easy to obsess over. But I won't. No. I won't.

I have many fuzzy memories of the era. I was just 5, 6, and 7 during those summertime visits. I had relatives living in Westwood. I used to accompany my cousin Alan on his paper route. "Ma Kettle" (Marjorie Maine) was one of his customers. I remember going to her front door with Alan and collecting money from her. I think he threw the Examiner. Was that a morning paper? I also remember going to lots of double features in Westwood with my grandmother. She used to accompany us out to LA and stay down the road at the Miramar in Santa Monica. I think I can remember Red Cars on Santa Monica Blvd. in the vicinity of West Hollywood. Of course, there was Will Wright's for ice cream down in Westwood Village. I learned to love the smell of smog (go figure) from those summer visits during what were probably some of the worst smog years. I thought, at the time, that smog was kind of cool and something I always associated with LA, which was my first Big City. I grew up in Fort Worth and now live in the Austin area.

Last edited by austlar1; Feb 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM.