View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Since we've been discussing the 'out of bounds' gay venues of the 1940s and 50s,
I thought I'd post about Bob Mizer's AMG (Athletic Model Guild) Studio.

Surprisingly, his studio was located at his mother's residence in Los Angeles.

I finally found her address (along with Bob and his younger brother Joseph) in the 1942 L.A. City Directory.

1834 W. 11th Street today

GSV

...but what intrigued most about the AMG photographs was that many were taken on a rooftop, often with fake grass-like carpeting and faux rocks.

At first I was perplexed & disappointed that 1834 W. 11th didn't have a roof-top that would accommodate these photographs.

until I looked again at Delia's address.

I then noticed that the flat-roofed building next to 1834 W. 11th is located on the same property.

google_earth

The flat-roof 'rental' seems to have built in front of the original garages for Delia's home. (the curb on 11th also shows this)
(the cement with squares makes it fairly obvious that this is one property)

I believe the spartan building next door is the location for these roof-top muscle fantasies.
I think the rooftop is easier to see in this 45 degree view - it's the one with the blue tarpaulin. I tried looking at the area on Historic Aerials, hoping the 1948 or 1952 images might show the faux rocks, but they were too blurry to see anything of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

In the 1942 directory Delia was listed as h1834, while Bob and Joseph were at r1834.
-so the h meant home, and the r meant rental? (you guys probably already knew this)
It's never a bad idea to look at the "Abbreviations" page in the CDs, as some are quite obscure. The difference between the "h" and "r" abbreviations is specifically spelled out in the 1923 CD.

LAPL

The 1942 CD has many more abbreviations, and the meaning of "r" has expanded to include "roomer".

LAPL