View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Barry Lawrence Ruderman Antique Maps

Pearl St was later Figueroa and Diamond and Court St are still with us, as are Depot, Bunker Hill, Yale, Cleveland and College, but I didn't know there were two Beaudrys or a completely different Figueroa. I'm getting extremely lost looking at this.
Damn freeways, they cut everything to ribbons.

Way before the Harbor Freeway (i.e., pre-20th century), Figueroa's alignment was straight northward (though not due north, of course) following the alignment of Boylston, toward Angelino Heights. At some point, Pearl, which angled slightly eastward off Figueroa just above Pico, became the new northward Figueroa. The old Figueroa north of Pico then became Boylston. (I thought we'd written about this, but of course the search feature here is basically useless. Grumble grumble.) So... Figueroa on your map is now Boylston; Pearl on the map is the current Figueroa alignment, which, if continued southward on the map, would meet the southbound Figueroa at Pico; and the right-hand Beaudry Ave is the present Beaudry. (Not sure what's going on with that second Beaudry.)

Correction per ProphetM's info in post 10386 above: The left-hand Beaudry is the present Beaudry; the second Beaudry shown on the map became Fremont.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM.