View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
You are 100%. For the majority of the people out there, most ultimately would prefer to live in a single detached home. But for many in most major centres it's simply unattainable. We're very fortunate to be an affordable market where people can still afford a single family home. But that too has been changing.
There's definitely a culture in Edmonton that prefers the single family home, but that doesn't obtain everywhere. In Chicago my neighborhood (denser and more urban than anything in Edmonton or probably in Canada) is filled with families who prefer urban living (prices in Chicago aren't much higher than Edmonton, so they could afford a suburban house further out, if they wanted to). Families, of course, shouldn't be forced to live downtown, but there should be options for them, especially as Edmonton grows and attracts people from other areas of the world that don't have this obsession with cookie-cutter suburban lifestyles. For me, ultimately, I'd like to see a lot more rowhouses and townhouses in Oliver and other central urban areas. This is the best of both worlds: dense, urban, pedestrian living, but also a small yard and more of a sense of community than a big faceless highrise. Just my two cents.